Tuesday, June 7, 2011

First week as a communications intern at AAPD

Living in upstate New York all of my life, it was an amazing opportunity to come down to DC and work with AAPD. I have worked with people with disabilities for five years now and I will be continuing that work in the fall when I make a trip across the country to work at Camphill Communities of California. The reason I applied to AAPD for the communications internship was because I wanted experience working in a different area of disabilities and seeing how to work with people living with disabilities on another level. It’s been a week since I began my internship in the AAPD office. Working as a communications intern is something new to me. While I was in college I maintained a Facebook and group page for the Student United Way group I started on the Binghamton University campus. While I had experience walking into AAPD, I didn’t realize all the great things I still had to learn to be able to fulfill all the components of my internship. For example, I will be learning how to update and maintain a website which I never thought I would get to do. I can already tell that the experiences and skills I learn while working at AAPD I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment